Dating or Whatever You Call it – is Hard
One of the hardest aspects of a real relationship is keeping it as passionate and all-consuming as it was when it first started. After breakups and divorces, many couples say it just didn’t work anymore because they had lost that spark. As years go by, it can be difficult to remember why you got together in the first place. Keeping a real relationship can take some work, but it is worth it. Here are some things you can do to make it last.
- Prioritize your relationship – A relationship isn’t something that you get and then don’t have to take care of anymore. It takes a constant effort to keep both sides together.
- Don’t hold grudges or keep score – We all make mistakes, that is something that proves we are human, but so is forgiveness. Just because the love of your life forgot your birthday, doesn’t mean that you get a free pass to hurt him or her back. It’s better to be understanding of what is going on with both people.
- Learn to compromise – There are always a few hiccups when two people get together to share a life. Whether that is deciding what holidays to celebrate in a multi-culture household, or understanding that work schedules are very different. It’s best to learn to give a little now and again.
Respect your partner – Taking another’s trust holds some responsibility on your part. You may not always see eye to eye, but being angry beyond words and still having enough respect for your partner to tell them you need a timeout will mean a lot to them later. Respecting your partner at other times can also play a big role in your relationship, whether that is around friends, neighbors, at home, and even out and about.
- Be open to real conversation – Something about communication is hard for people to fully understand. Have an open door policy with your partner. If something was said that hurt your feelings, you should be able to express that. You should also, in turn, listen to what your partner has to say.
- Have fun and play games – It shouldn’t be all work to be around each other. When it started, there was a lot of fun, and there is no reason that there still can’t be. Make it a date!
- Don’t forget to be intimate – Every person defines intimacy different, from going all the way to holding hands while taking an evening walk. Whichever form of intimacy you prefer should be a part of your everyday life with your partner.
- Have your own space – Call it a man cave or woman cave, but each person should have their own safe space. It can be a after-fight cool off zone, craft spot, beer during the game, or whatever you want that you and retreat to when you need some time away.
Relationships are not always easy, and they have their highs and lows. But with a little work and communication, you can continue in a happy and real relationship with the love of your life.